Frequently Asked Questions


Veterans Benefits -- Chap 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, 1607

Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Study Abroad

Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program for Dependents




Q: I am a veteran and I’m getting out in the next couple of months.  How do I register to go UCI?
A: You have to apply to attend UCI.  The application process is done for the entire UC system in one application.  You can check out the following website to apply for the next Fall term, the filing period is between Nov 1-Nov 30th of every year, but the application becomes available beginning on Oct 1st of every year. 

If you have done some college work after high school then you would be applying as a transfer student.  Either way if you have been out of school for a long period of time, we often advise for you to attend a CA Community College for the first two years to get back into the swing of things and then apply as a Junior Transfer student.

Q: I have a SMART Transcript and/or coursework from colleges in other states, will my units transfer over?

A:  That is a question for the admissions office, but UCI cannot guarantee transferability of courses taken out of the state of California.  When you apply the Admissions Office will evaluate them and determine which credits are transferrable.   You can contact Julie Marovish, the veteran specialist in Admissions at and visit

back to top

Veterans Benefits -- Chap 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, 1607

Q: I am a new/transfer student; I have/haven't received VA benefits before and would like to apply for benefits at this school. What should I do?

A: Visit our “How Do I Register for benefits” page: Gather your paperwork together and submit it all at once to our office.  If time permits you can make an appointment to meet with the veteran coordinator, if not you can either fax or email to us.

Q: I am adding/dropping classes and this will change my enrollment status that I filled out on the Veteran's Certification form. What should I do?

A: Changing status means to go from full to 1/2 time, 3/4 to full time, or any other such combination (full time is 12 or more units, 3/4 time is 9-11 units, 1/2 is 6-8 units). If you dropped from 16 to 12 units, which is still at full time, you do not need to do anything. If you added or dropped units that place you in a status other than you reported, you must report this change to our office by filling out a new certification form and indicating "Change of Status".

Q: I am changing my major. What do I need to do?

A: You no longer need to take any formal action as VA legislation recently changed.  Please do let us know in the next Quarterly Certification you submit, highlight it to help us catch the change.

Q: When is the deadline for submitting my Quarterly Certification Form?

A: There is no deadline for submitting your QCF. However, you cannot get your educational funds until you do, so it would behoove you to submit your form soon after you have registered for classes.  Do to an increase in submission with the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the need to cover their tuition before the fee deadline, those submissions may sometimes take priority.  The general rule of thumb though is turn it in by the first of the month, the month fees are due for the next term.

back to top

Post-9/11 GI Bill - Ch. 33

Q: I have the Post-9/11 GI  Bill, what’s covered at UCI?

A: UCI is a public institution so if you are 100% eligible, 100% of your in-state Tuition and Fees are covered at UCI, including Professional School fees.

back to top

Study Abroad

Q: I am a dependent of a veteran and have the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver, can I use it to study abroad?

A: You can only use it if you are doing UC's EAP (Education Abroad Program).  It cannot be used for any other abroad experience.  It only qualifies for the UC education fee for the program, it does not cover program (travel, excursion, etc.) fees.  If you're Cal Vet Fee Waiver is already in the system for the current academic year (includes upcoming summer), then there is nothing you need to do to apply it.  You are responsible for meeting payment deadlines for the initial deposit, that will not be covered by Cal Vet yet.  Once you are registered for the program and have received your EAP bill, Office of Financial Aid will ensure that it is applied to your EAP fees by sending it off to UC Office of the President.  It is important that you double check your MyEAP account before fee deadlines to ensure it has been taken care of.  If there are any problems contact Office of Financial Aid.

Q: I am accessing GI Bill Benefits and want to know if while I am abroad I can still access my benefits.

A: For Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients: Study Abroad must be REQUIRED for graduation (not an option or elective).  UCI does NOT have any majors that REQUIRE study abroad for graduation on an undergraduate degree.  MBA Students: EMBA, HCEMBA and FEMBA students are REQUIRED to do residential programs abroad.  The full-time MBA program does NOT REQUIRE a residential abroad program.  See this VA Handout to read all the policies and regulations on Post 9/11 for study abroad programs.

For all GI Bill Benefits except Post-9/11: Yes, there would not be a problem as long as the courses count toward your degree and graduation. Although, there are a few extra steps involved, you will need a letter and signature from your Academic Advisor approving that your courses will be transferrable to your UCI Transcript.  If for some reason (ie. you are the first person taking this class) they cannot sign off on it, then you will have to wait until you return from the abroad program and submit the transcripts to Office of Admissions, have the courses be approved and reflect on your transcript and we can submit the benefits retroactively.


Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program for Dependents

Q: I have been approved to receive a fee waiver, and have a letter from the VA stating this. What do I need to with this letter in order to get my tuition fees waived?

A: Make two copies of your letter and submit to Veteran Services -- We will keep one and the other will be sent to the Financial Aid Office.  It can also be submitted via fax or email to

Q: I am an out-of-state student (or do not meet residency requirements) and I have been approved to receive the Cal Vet Fee waiver by my local County VA Office.  Can I use it at UCI even though I am out-of-state? 

A: Even though the county office approved you, you will not qualify to recieve the Cal Vet Fee Waiver.  The County VA does not have jurisdiction to evaluate CA residency requirements, thus when you are submitting paperwork to them, they are not looking at that when approving you for the fee waiver. Just like the CA colleges and universities do not have jurisdiction to approve you for the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, only the County VA office can do that.  If UCI has already established that you are paying non-resident tuition then as stated in #3 of the approval letter, you will not be eligible for the waiver: "You must meet the California residency requirements of your school in order recieve these benefits."

Q: Can I use my Cal-Vet Fee Waiver for Summer School?

A: Yes. Pick-up a copy of your fee waiver letter in our office (if you don’t have it) and attach it to your Summer School Registration.  You should not register online for summer school if you are using the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, use the pdf form found on their website (, follow the instructions for registering by mail or in person.  Submit it with the Cal Vet Letter, your Registration Form and Registration Fee, the rest will be waived.

Q: I lost my fee waiver letter, what should I do?

A: Visit our office. We may have a copy of it-- if not, contact Office of Financial Aid or call your local county VA office.

back to top



Regular Hours
Monday - Friday
9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Holiday Closures
May 29, 2017
July 4, 2017

Closed for Staff Training
June 23, 2017

Quick Links

Post 9/11 GI Bill logo Link

Veterans Crisis Line 1800-273-TALK(8255) Press 1 for Veterans

PROUD PARTICIPANT Toolkit for Veteran Friendly Institutions


Linkedin  Facebook icon  twitter